Q: Python 2.0 preliminary features?

skaller skaller at maxtal.com.au
Sun Oct 17 09:35:39 EDT 1999

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   TP> In Greg's scheme (which you may be confusing with John
>   TP> Skaller's), you write that in the more Scheme-like way:
>
> (Yes.  I'm definitely getting my Skallers and Ewings confused.  Sorry.)

	To clarify then: the scheme Viper uses to 'solve' this
problem is trivial: it is no problem in Viper, because Viper
has a real garbage collector and doesn't do reference counting.
[Because ocaml 2.02 does not support finalisation, __del__
methods cannot be executed. This will be fixed with the next
release of ocaml, which I am told will support finalisers]

	Easily the best way to solve the problem
in CPython is just as in Viper and in JPython.

	Use a real garbage collector.

John Skaller, mailto:skaller at maxtal.com.au
1/10 Toxteth Rd Glebe NSW 2037 Australia
homepage: http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller
downloads: http://www.triode.net.au/~skaller