Python and the Internet -- not! (fwd)

Robert Meegan rmeegan at murl.com
Tue Oct 26 10:15:00 EDT 1999

---------- Forwarded message ----------

> Why?  Well, PHP3 has a few things integrated that Python does not and they
> are killers.  Actually just two.
>
> Authentication, that is the ability to get the user ID and password and
> MySQL database access is just plane impossible, no I can't rely on .htaccess
> files and mod_pyapache does not supply this as does the the PHP3 module --
> so sad.

The company for which I work uses both Python and PHP3 extensively. As the
resident Python programmer, I have to deal with the jealous leers and
excessive drooling of the PHP3 programmers when they see how easy it is to
write real applications for the Web and to connect to our MySQL databases.

The problem lies not with Python, but rather with your ISPs. The solution
is education. You need to show them that with a few small changes to
their installation, they can support you, your customers, and many
additional potential users.

Marc pointed out how the Authentication issue can be quickly dealt with
and I'll testify to the ease of installation of the MySQLdb module, which
compiled and installed right out of the box.

Life is much too short to spend time programming in lousy languages, just
because they came installed on the box.  If that was the only criteria,
we'd all be programming in Visual Basic (and if you'll excuse me now, I
need to wash my hands after typing those dirty words).

Your humble servant,

--- Robert

Robert Meegan

Murl.com -
Because it's not just your data, it's your life.