Python/Tkinter _and_ COM on win32 platform?

Siggy Brentrup bsb at north.de
Tue Oct 26 01:57:08 EDT 1999

[Please also Cc to Maike at zurbel.north.de when responding, she isn't on the list.]

"Mark Hammond" <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> writes:

Thanks for responding, before going into details let me give you some
background: it's back into the days of win32s I did some C++
programming for Windoze using Borland's compiler 'cause MS implemented
a quite strange interpretation of the ARM (and hungarian-notation-
basic-ly-driving-me-nuts :-)

> Pythonwin doesnt support Tkinter (or more correctly, Tkinter doesnt
> support Pythonwin :-) but that is not relevant to COM - they are quite
> seperate.

Look at it the way you like best, Tkinter has the elder rights, if
that matters :-)

[...]

> Hence my comment that Tkinter doesnt support Pythonwin, rather than
> the other way around.

Have to take this as granted from _the_ Pythonwin authority.

> The second problem is that to embed a GUI COM object in Delphi or VB,
> you need to conform to the "ActiveX Control" specifications.  Python
> does not yet support this part of COM - it very nearly does - the
> problem is that ActiveX controls are very complicated, and I havent
> had time (nor the inclination, truth be told) to get a sample Python
> ActiveX control together.

Although embedding the GUI into Delphi is desirable, it's not an
absolute must; for example a loose coupling running the Python GUI as
a seperate task communicating via a pipe (dunno if win32 has pipes)
or a socket with the Delphi program might meet requirements.

If this doesn't work, I'll have to port most of Tk's text widget
functionality to Pythonwin.

Even though sources are available, w/o a machine powerful enough to
run VMware, I'm reluctant of switching to Windows as my development
platform :-(

[...]

> As I mention above about Tkinter and a non-standard event loop, I
> think there are other technical reasons why you will have problems.
> IIRC, some of the free C++ compilers available are starting to get
> good results, so MSVC may not be required these days...

Maybe it's time to give cygwin a try.

  Siggy

--
Siggy Brentrup - bsb at north.de - http://www.north.de/~bsb/