PythonWin Debugger

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Oct 29 19:19:38 EDT 1999

> Why is it that I can run the PythonWin debugger under
> straight Python fine,
> but if I run it in an embedded app, or from IDLE, I get:
>
>     win32ui.GetMainFrame().HookCommand(HandleToolCommand, idPos)
> win32ui: The frame does not exist
>
> Is there any way around this?

Hmmm.  The debugger should run from all embedded apps, except Tkinter
ones (and therefore except IDLE).  This particular problem would
appear to be a bug.  I have another debugger bug I need to track down,
and hopefully I can also solve this.

Unfortunately, Tkinter and any other GUI system dont seem to like
living together.  Eg, I have managed to use the debugger to debug a
Python COM object when hosted in VB (which is quite a cool demo :-)
but have never managed to get Tkinter apps working with it.  I would
really like to, but the little I know about Tk makes it seem somewhat
difficult.  A Tk expert willing to help me could solve this.

OTOH, the best stragegy for this is probably remote debugging - use a
seperate process to perform the debugging.  This would also solve a
few of the hairy "blocking" problems I need to deal with.  However,
this doesnt appear trivial either :-(

Mark.