Intersection of multiple lists/list of lists

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Oct 7 12:00:54 EDT 1999

In article <37FAF2D8.8F43623A at bibsyst.no>,
Thomas Weholt  <thomas at bibsyst.no> wrote:
>Aahz Maruch wrote:
>> In article <37F9BADF.8B3C4221 at bibsyst.no>,
>> Thomas Weholt  <thomas at bibsyst.no> wrote:
>>>
>>>I got a program were the user will search a database based on keywords.
>>
>> I'd recommend using a real database for this.  Suggestions include MySQL
>> and the Python-based gadfly.
>
>How, in your opinion, does Berkley DB, using shelve/pickle-methods,
>storing simple objects ( this got a little complicated, I mean the
>available modules with the standard Python-distro.) , compare to MySQL
>or any other DBMS when looking at speed, size and easy of operation?

I don't know.  What I do know is that your original post used the magic
word "intersection".  To me, that implies that a flat-file database
approach is the wrong one.  I believe MySQL and Gadfly can run on top of
DBM; what you get out of that is a reliable abstraction for performing
set operations.  For less overhead, you might consider using kjBuckets
and its set operations directly.

In any event, I don't think you're talking about a multi-user
transactional environment; on modern hardware, pretty much any DB
implementation ought to work for you.  If you're *really* worried, try
downloading Oracle.
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)