Module for generic platform information: platform.py

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Wed Oct 27 10:05:06 EDT 1999

Thomas Heller wrote:

> > [...] BTW, is there any way (other than using the registry) to find
> > out the patch level of WinNT, e.g. something like "Windows NT 4.0 with
> > SP4" ? Since this information seems vital on WinNT I think it should
> > be included in the version string.
>
> You can use the command
> "winmsd /s /f"
> to generate a report containing more than you ever wanted to know about NT.
> Flags: /s - summary report (about 13kB here),
>        or /a - complete system report (about 40kB)
>        /f - system report will be sent to file,
>        or /p - system report will be sent to printer
>
> The first few lines are:
>   Microsoft Diagnostics Report For \\THOMASNOTEBOOK
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>   OS Version Report
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Microsoft (R) Windows NT (TM) Workstation
>   Version 4.0 (Build 1381: Service Pack 4) x86 Uniprocessor Free
>   Registered Owner: Thomas Heller, ION-TOF GmbH
>   Product Number: <...deleted...>
>
> Problems I see:
> a - the report is written to the file <computername>.txt in the current
> directory
>     (hostname.exe will return this name)
> b - the report is written in the language corresponding to the NT version
> c - you may want to start winmsd with the command line
>     "start /wait winmsd /s /f"
>     so that the command returns when winmsd is finished.
> d - winmsd displays a progress box (which you may not want to see?)
> e - I'm not sure if winmsd is included in every version of NT,
>     I could only check several NT4.0 boxes here.

Sounds interesting, but if it's not installed per default I guess
it won't help much.

Perhaps there are still other ways to find out the build and
service pack information...

BTW, what does 'ver /r' output on WinNT ? On Win95 it does provide
some more information than the plain 'ver'.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    65 days left