Import problem with threads

Marc POINOT poinot at onera.fr
Fri Oct 15 09:53:24 EDT 1999

I have some problem with my installtion on SGI.
We are trying to make a multi-platform installation (n32, 64, and some
cross compilers)
with threads.
Two problems:

[ONE] (one could also say [1], or first)

During the make install process, the compileall.py phase fails. The
was without threads, and the compileall.py uses the NEW python with
threads. The message was
something like
I force the compilation with the OLD python without threads. It passes,
but...

[TWO] (see remark above, but changing [1] with [2] and first by second,
but NOT one by two)
Now, trying to import some modules, I have:

elsa at SGI > python
Python 1.5.2 (#20, Oct 14 1999, 11:07:33)  [GCC 2.95.1 19990816
(release)] on irix646
>>> import gzip
Fatal Python error: unlock_import: not holding the import lock
Abort(coredump)
elsa at SGI >

Any idea, something missing at install time, mess in shell variables,
compile option unadequate, other?

Marcvs [alias Trying now to feed Python with live rabbits]