Beginning programming with Python

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Nov 19 05:18:37 EST 1999

Boudewijn Rempt <boud at rempt.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> You needn't guess about that, I guess ;-). I didn't know there
> was a design team for Python, I though it was Guido's invention.

it is -- the CWI researchers (including GvR) worked
on Python's predecessor ABC.

> But I still wonder about the double == - if I can't assign in
> an if, why insist on ==?

probably because binding and comparision
are two different things; consider:

    a = b = c

vs.

    a = b == c

(if we'd start over from scratch, I'd vote for
using ":=" for binding, and "=" for comparision,
but I suppose even more people would have
complained about that one...)

fwiw, ABC used "PUT value IN variable"...

</F>