PythonWin Debugger

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Nov 1 05:57:58 EST 1999

> > Hmmm.  The debugger should run from all embedded apps,
> except Tkinter
> > ones (and therefore except IDLE).
>
> Does that include straight win32 (non-MFC) apps?

Yes - it should work there.  Eg, if you run
"pythonwin\pywin\debugger\fail.py" as a normal script from Python.exe,
the debugger should fire up correctly.

> > This particular problem would appear to be a bug.  I have another
> > debugger bug I need to track down, and hopefully I can also solve
> > this.
>
> Is it connected with this one, or is it completely different?

Different - occasionally the debugger seems to "hang" (although it
hasnt really - it just doesnt respond - as if a modal dialog is up,
although the modal dialog is hidden).  I can't repro this at the
moment, even tho I have seen it before :-(

> > OTOH, the best stragegy for this is probably remote
> debugging - use a
> > seperate process to perform the debugging.  This would also solve
> > few of the hairy "blocking" problems I need to deal with.
However,
> > this doesnt appear trivial either :-(
>
> I should imagine not. I suppose there is some sort of API
> under Windows
> to allow this sort of thing (like the Visual C++ debugger does) but
> wouldn't have any idea where to start.

That API is too low-level for Python to use effectively.  We really
dont need the ability to replace an instruction with a break-point.

Mark.