Python complaints

Thomas Hamelryck thamelry at vub.ac.be
Wed Nov 24 03:48:56 EST 1999

Mark Carroll (markc at chiark.greenend.org.uk) wrote:
[snip]
: Basically, I'd be really interested to learn: what _don't_ people like
: about Python?
[snip]

Well, here are some of the things I don't like very much:

Block delimitation by indenting. This makes python look like a porsche with
a caravan attached :-). As far as I know, most python users even seem to like
this for some reason.
I very much miss the unary arithmatic operations that C has (e.g. a+=1).
Lack of true garbage collection (which leads to problems with
circular references).
Lack of private attributes (although you can simulate private attributes by
picking a name with two underscores; python then does some name magling
with it).

But of course, it's still a very nice language :-)

Cheers,

Thomas Hamelryck//Free University Brussels (VUB)
Intitute for Molecular Biology// ULTR Department
Paardestraat 65//1640 Sint-Gensius-Rode//Belgium