Beginning programming with Python

Janos Blazi jblazi at netsurf.de
Mon Nov 15 16:03:39 EST 1999

I have tried to use Perl in my teaching. It has a very powerful but alas!
not very simple syntax! To start with, my pupils used to forget the dollar
signs and Perl does not like that. So this year I shall use Python. We shall
see. Time will tell, if Python is really better. Maybe my pupils will forget
the indenting this time? There is actually nothing else you can forget in
Python. I feel that it is the right language for teaching.

Janos Blazi
Germany

Martijn Faassen <m.faassen at vet.uu.nl> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
80p9ds$ppo$1 at newshost.accu.uu.nl...
> "Aaron Ginn (rp2885)" <rp2885 at email.sps.mot.com> wrote:
> > An honest opinion, please; is Python better suited for beginners than
Perl, as
> > I've heard?
>
> You're asking in the Python newsgroup, so here's my honest opinion:
>
> Yes.
>
> I was an experienced programmer (C, C++, Pascal, and some glancing
> familiarity with a host of other languages) when I learned Python.
> Before I looked at Python, I struggled a few weeks trying to teach
> myself Perl. Then I downloaded the Python tutorial, read it in about an
> hour, and I never looked back. I could program in Python from then on.
Python