Beginning programming with Python

Aaron Ginn aaron.ginn at motorola.com
Thu Nov 11 16:12:02 EST 1999

Hello all,

I'm starting a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting computer
literacy in low-income youth (ages 12-18).  The curriculum will
include an introduction to programming using either Python or Perl.

First, I know Perl very well, but I know nothing about Python.  I've
heard from many sources that Python is the best language to teach
someone with no programming experience because it emphasizes
fundamentals and the correct (i.e. best) way to program.  Could anyone
comment on how the two languages compare in this aspect?  Also, I will
need to learn Python as well if I choose to go that route.  I am very
literate with Perl and Tcl/TK.  How quickly can I expect to pick up
Python?

Secondly, if I choose to use Python for this, I would like to supply
each student with a reference book on Python.  I've narrowed it down
to a choice between the two O'Reilly books, "Programming Python" and
"Learning Python".  PP apears to have a lot more meat to it, but LP
appears to be more suited to the beginner.  Assuming the audience
includes kids that have never programmed before, should I go with LP,
or will I miss out on anything by not getting the more detailed book?

Thanks for your time.

Aaron Ginn

--
Aaron J. Ginn                     Motorola SPS
Phone: (480) 814-4463             SemiCustom Solutions