How do I compile NumPy on Linux?

Janne Sinkkonen janne at nnets.fi
Thu Nov 11 07:04:01 EST 1999

William Park <parkw at better.net> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 09:38:45AM +0100, Sandro Ferrari wrote:
> > I downloaded the LLNLDistribution.tgz file and followed the installation
> > instruction:
> > cd Numerical
> > ./makethis.py
> > but I get the message:
> > make: Makefile.pre.in: No such file or directory
> > make: *** No rule to make target `Makefile.pre.in'.  Stop.
> > make: *** No targets.  Stop.
> > In the documentation isn't mentioned anything about it.
> > Any help?
> > thanks
> > Sandro
>
> This was long time ago.  But, from my memory, I did
>     python makethis.py
>     python installthis.py
> So, check the *.py files whether this should be.

It's identical to what he tried. I guess that he either has an
incomplete Numeric package (unlikely) or that
/usr/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile.pre.in or an equivalent is
missing. I don't know whether the config directory is provided by the
python RPM or by the python-devel RPM, but the config directory _was_
missing from a Python 1.5.2. RPM which I installed some months ago
(all this assumes he uses RedHat). A suitable combination of RPMs or
installing from sources fixes this problem.

--
Janne