Comparison between Python and "Ruby"

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Nov 4 07:15:13 EST 1999

Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz at netlab.co.jp> wrote:
[snip]
> But TMTOWTDI (in other words: the more, the merrier) is the slogan to
> emphasize maximum variability in ALL AREAS, so that I felt weird to
> see Pythoneers talking TMTOWTDI or even TMTOWTHMTOWTDI in positive
> attitude.  Reducing variablility in ANY AREA contradict against
> TMTOWTDI, I think.

But there are more ways to have more ways to do it, which is I think what
TMTOWTHMTOWTDI stands for. :) Python does it by reducing syntactic variability,
while still having a large semantic variability; and because it's so
easy to use, it arguably has a larger semantic variability than C. Of course
this is nonsense because Python is written in C, but it's just *easier*
to use different programming styles in Python (procedural, object oriented,
functional, etc). More inviting. In this sense Python may even invite
*more* semantic ways to do it than Perl (for instance people sometimes
complain about the OO implementation of Perl).

So there are more ways to have multiple solutions than just Perl's way. As
I'm sure you'll agree with. :)

There-are-more-ways-to-understand-TMTOWTDI-ly yours,

Martijn