Can't start IDLE

Guido van Rossum guido at cnri.reston.va.us
Tue Nov 2 20:51:13 EST 1999

Nick Collier <nick at src.uchicago.edu> writes:

> On winNT sp3 I get the following message when I do a "python idle.py"
> from the command line:
>
> C:\Program Files\Python\Tools\idle>python idle.py
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "idle.py", line 3, in ?
>     PyShell.main()
>   File "PyShell.py", line 612, in main
>     fixwordbreaks(root)
>   File "EditorWindow.py", line 606, in fixwordbreaks
>     tk.call('tcl_wordBreakAfter', 'a b', 0) # make sure word.tcl is
> loaded
> TclError: invalid command name "tcl_wordBreakAfter"
>
> I looked around deja.com and found one other person with the same
> problem, but no response so I'm asking here.

Could it be that you have an older (or newer) Tcl version installed?
Python (for now, until I upgrade the _tkinter module) requires Tcl/Tk
8.0.5 -- which is the version that comes with the Python 1.5.2 for
Windows installer.

Try to erase all traces of other Tcl installs and reinstall Python and
see if that works.