__str__ vs. __repr__

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 12:04:43 EST 1999

wtanksle at hawking.armored.net (William Tanksley) writes:

> On 15 Nov 1999 20:48:39 GMT, Tres Seaver wrote:
> >Michael Hudson  <mwh21 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >>philh at vision25.demon.co.uk (Phil Hunt) writes:
>
> >>It's one of those things I might get round to writing one of these
> >>days. I don't really know how hard it would be. Not especially, I
> >>suspect.
>
> >Besides, you need to defer it until _after_ this year's Pythonic award,
> >for which you are already in pole position for inventing bytecodehacks :).
>
> You might note that Tim is rather proud of being the only living recipient
> of the Pythonic award (for some definition of 'life').  I understand he
> might take action to keep that distinction if someone else were to win the
> award.
>
> If you get what I mean.

I don't think the bytecodehacks, while sufficiently dark and useless
to be a tim-ism, qualify me in any way for a Pythonic Wizard Hat when
compared the sheer contribution in terms of wit, code, accurate
advice, experience, emacs modes and general amazingly useful stuff
that Tim Peters has given to the Python community.

<0.0 wink>.

Try http://www.python.org/tim_one/ if you don't see what I mean.

not-a-bot-yet-ly y'rs - Michael