Other ways to disable Wm in Tkinter?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Sun Nov 14 17:11:35 EST 1999

Hi All--

brian at liaone.ne.mediaone.net wrote:

[bobbitt]

> Thus, my question - can one disable the window manager (or at least
> disable window movement) short of withdraw/overrideredirect/deiconify?
> It goes without saying that using grab_set_global is a bit too brutal.
> Thanks,
> Brian

Nuking or disabling people's window managers is not as brutal as
grab_set_global?????  <.9 wince>

Why do you need to do this?  I'd advise against it.  I think all you're
going to accomplish is pissing people off.

If you absolutely *must*, try mapping an invisible window that covers
the whole root window and intercepting all the events, only passing on
the required ones to the dialog.  But I think you'd have to write a C
extension to do this, which wouldn't be portable.  And it seems pretty
kludgy to me. ...

<don't-touch-that-wm>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours