XPython (X11)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu
Tue Nov 30 13:15:42 EST 1999

On 30 Nov 1999 06:57:06 GMT, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at rempt.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu> wrote:

>> True. But I want that over an integrated API and GNOME and KDE
>> don't offer that yet. And they also don't offer it cross platform.
>> wxWindows at least tries to get there.
>
>I'm curious as to what you mean by an 'integrated API' - just
>curiosity.

Bad wording on my part, I guess. :)
Maybe I should call it internally aimed API.
Means: Yes, you can use it from outsite, but the abstraction in this
case is wrong.

Like: Why do I need a HTML widget if I can just delegate the task to
any HTML browser. The GNOME people would never delegate a task to the
KDE HTML widget. But they could have an API to delegate it to any
HTML browser and then let the user assemble it. If the user has
KDE on the machine, he might as well use the KDE HTML browser.

This is why the KDE and GNOME APIs are targeted within their own
structure, but not to seperate tasks and nurture compatibility.

>>>And yeah, last I heard you had to buy the Troll Kit for PyQt under
>>>Win32.
>> Dropping platform compatibility, that a huge point.

>Oh well, platform compatibility that costs money is still
>platform compatibility.
No. Proprietory software is not a real option.
	Bernhard
--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.  (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Free Software Projects and Consulting 		         (intevation.net)