Apply a function to each list member?

Blake Winton bwinton at tor.dhs.org
Thu Nov 4 20:22:41 EST 1999

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 07:52:15 -0400, Gaetan Corneau wrote:
>I knew I had seen a function to do this somewhere, but I could not find it.
>"map" is not an intuitive name for me (maybe it would if english was my main
>language).

Speaking as someone who's one language is English, "Probably not".
"map" is really a Lisp/Scheme concept, and bears only a passing
relationship to English.  (Huh, what do ya know, looking up "map"
on http://www.m-w.com/ reveals (in meaning 4) that "map" actually
means "FUNCTION".  I have no idea why they capitalized it.)

>"Profanity is the one language all programmers know best"

Well, okay, maybe two languages.  ;)

Later,
Blake.

--
One Will.  One Dream.  One Truth.  One Destiny.  One Love.