Need help dealing with spaces in NT paths.

T. C. Mits 71351.356 at compuserve.com
Wed Nov 17 01:00:18 EST 1999

A simple example of the difficulty is:

>>> os.system(r'"dir Program Files"')
Bad command or file name
0

This is run at the root of C: for simplicity.

I also get:

os.popen(r'"dir Program Files"', "r")
Bad command or file name
<open file '"dir program files"', mode 'r'  at 795930>

What does that mean?
---------------------------------
Now this is weird.   I created a test.bat file that just has dir %1 in it.

>>> import os
>>> os.execv("test.bat",["program files"])

C:\>dir files

 Volume in drive C is CDRIVE
 Volume Serial Number is 2E50-0FE9
 Directory of C:\