Python and COM: a bug?

Adrian Eyre a.eyre at optichrome.com
Tue Nov 23 12:04:12 EST 1999

>> If this is vital to your project, it might be worth running the source
>> through a debugger.

> I have debugged the C++ source (our code), and I'm sure it is OK (and the
> problem never happens with lousy VBScript anyway).

Same here. Our COM object worked fine through VB.

> I have traced in the Python code, but I could not pointexactly
> what's wrong, but I think there *is* something wrong in there.

We did get some oddities running PythonCOM through Rational's Purify: I
don't have the results any more, but I seem to remember there was internal
memory corruption somewhere. Not being a COM kind of person, I found an
easier solution by removing PythonCOM from the project entirely, and going
via an extension module instead.

Adrian Eyre <mailto:a.eyre at optichrome.com>
Optichrome Computer Solutions Ltd
Maybury Road, Woking, Surrey, GU21 5HX, UK
Tel: +44 1483 740 233  Fax: +44 1483 760 644
http://www.optichrome.com