Help with SMTP

Glenn Kidd gek8365 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Wed Nov 24 13:33:29 EST 1999

Hello,

I wrote a few weeks ago and I received a lot of responses.  I have a new
problem.  I am trying to write a form mailer and I have gotten the script to
accept the form data and mail the info.  The message is received and
everyhting looks in order but the website reports a "500 Internal Server
Error".  When I look at the server log I get the following description of
the error:

[Wed Nov 24 13:23:30 1999] [error] [client 128.186.86.106] Premature end of
script headers: /home/httpd/cgi-bin/mail.py

I will include the script.  Any help would be greatly appreciated (and duely
noted in the header of the script)

#!/usr/bin/python

import cgi, smtplib, rfc822

form = cgi.FieldStorage()        # get the form data
list = form.keys()                   # get the keys for the dictionary
form_dict = {}                   # initialize the form dictionary to NONE

def data2dict(new_dict, cgi_form_data, list_of_keys):
        for cntr in range(len(list_of_keys)):
                new_dict[list_of_keys[cntr]] =
cgi_form_data[list_of_keys[cntr]$

def sndmsg(dict):
        input = open(dict['template'], 'r')
        msg_body = input.read()
        msg = msg_body % dict
        toaddr = dict['send_to']
        fromaddr = dict['email']
        server = smtplib.SMTP('localhost')
        server.sendmail(toaddr, fromaddr, msg)
        server.quit()

data2dict(form_dict, form, list)   # translate CGI data to a dictionary

sndmsg(form_dict)