Feature request for interactive interpreter

coursesm at sbdhcp-4024.statenisland-ny.est.tcg.com coursesm at sbdhcp-4024.statenisland-ny.est.tcg.com
Mon Nov 1 13:53:05 EST 1999

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999 12:03:35 -0700 , Bjorn Pettersen <bjorn at roguewave.com> wrote:
>I'm getting tired of typing, so my request for the next version of the
>interactive interpreter is a "help" function, probably defined as:
>
>	def help(x): print x.__doc__
>
>(with the appropriate 'no help available' message if the object doesn't have
>a doc string...)

Hmm, I do that already with a little script called startup.py.  In my
.bashrc is the following:
export PYTHONSTARTUP=~/startup.py

This causes startup.py to be executed every time the interpreter is started.
Hence, no need to muck with Python's source in any way.

I assume there is an analogue on non-*nix systems.

HTH,
Steve