Extending Python dynamically

Németh Miklós nemeth at iqsoft.hu
Thu Nov 4 04:21:20 EST 1999

Dear Pythoners,

I have downloaded DCOracle extension. I have RH6.0, and (at least until
now) I have not installed the source distribution of Python. I have
installed only the binary RPMs. I unpacked DCOracle in a directory and
managed to build the so files (Buffer.so and oci_.so).
How to install then this DCOracle package? I have been trying to figure
out but no success.
I have read ext.pdf (Extending Python with C or C++). As far as I
understood (by reading chapter 2), I have to recompile my Python
interpreter, and have to relink the interpreter against this DCOracle
shared objects.
Does Python not support a more dynamic extension mechanism (based on
dlopen())? If I want to add an extension in C, shall I always
recompile/relink my Python interpreter? Perl (via XS) and Apache (via
mod_so) supports a kind of dynamic loading mechanism I'd like to have.
Can anyone help me how to get this DCOracle work on my system?

Miklos Nemeth
IQSOFT

PS: I am quite new to Python, but an experienced OO (C++, Java)
programmer. I was amazed by Python as a language. Now I am evaluating
Python to determine the quality/applicability of the facilities
necessary for my daily works (such as Oracle7 database access, CORBA
(over SSL is preferred) support, extendability, GUI support, etc.),
which mainly are mission critical business applications.
I have also started evaluating Zope. After the first two hours I found
Zope is a fantastic product, I am curious about how people did dare
implement a so complex application (ie. an application server) in an
interpreted "scripting language". These type of software pieces are
implemented in C (Apache, AOLserver), C++ (BroadVision). So I decided I
learn Python and assemble a development environment for Python
programming.

NM