ASCII delimited files

Mike Fletcher mcfletch at vrtelecom.com
Thu Nov 11 16:27:32 EST 1999

Okay, here's an entirely different approach, extremely memory intensive,
fairly fast.  Gives pretty good speed up to the point where you start
hitting memory effects (my 256 MB PIII 500 loads 10MB in 45 seconds, but
takes 7.5 minutes for a 36MB file).

For even greater speed, using an index-counting scheme (instead of expensive
front-of-list-deletions) might be tried.

Note: this does none of the fancy delimiter-determination of delimited.py,
it's just a loading engine.

Cheers,
Mike

Time for file of 365 bytes
 (5 * testset, 11 records found):
 0.0
Time for file of 3650 bytes
 (50 * testset, 101 records found):
 0.00999999046326
Time for file of 36500 bytes
 (500 * testset, 1001 records found):
 0.120000004768
Time for file of 365000 bytes
 (5000 * testset, 10001 records found):
 1.25199997425
next test may take 15 seconds or so
Time for file of 3650000 bytes
 (50000 * testset, 100001 records found):
 13.5299999714
next test may take 45 seconds or so
Time for file of 10950000 bytes
 (150000 * testset, 300001 records found):
 50.4729999304