Python complaints

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 26 15:59:02 EST 1999

Gareth McCaughan <Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com> writes:

> Markus Stenberg wrote:
>
> > I have always found lisp-ish syntax of "masses of ()s" disconcerting in
> > large amounts - admittedly, I've written more than few lines of
> > [ce]lisp/scheme/.., but never enjoyed browsing the results very much. I
> > consider Dylan to be "readable" clisp.
>
> One quickly gets used to Lisp syntax. Like using indentation to
> denote block structure. :-) After a while, you just stop noticing
> all those parentheses.

This leads to a thought: would it be possible using lisp's silly
amount of flexibility to get the reader to auto-paranthesize (word?
doubt it):

defun our-member (obj lst)
  if null lst
     nil
     if eql (car lst) obj
        lst
        our-member obj (car lst)

based on indentation, as

(defun our-member (obj lst)
  (if (null lst)
    nil
    (if (eql (car lst) obj)
      lst
      (our-member obj (car lst)))))

or is whitespace ignorance built-in?

indentation-as-structure-*will*-rule-the-world-ly y'rs
Michael