What are Aspects? (Re: How can I make my assertions smarter?)

William Tanksley wtanksle at hawking.armored.net
Mon Nov 15 17:34:00 EST 1999

On 11 Nov 1999 21:44:44 GMT, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>Evan Simpson <evan at tokenexchange.com> wrote:

>>I think that this depends on the language in which you write your Aspects (I
>>don't mean C/Python/etc, I mean the special Aspect-specification language).
>>In the examples I looked at, pattern-matching on the class, method, and
>>method arguments determined where each part of an Aspect would be applied.

>So it's essentially a kind of pre-processor?

That's an excellent way of thinking about it.  It's essentially a semantic
preprocessor.  Instead of searching for and inserting text, like the C
preprocessor, it searches for and replaces behavior in certain contexts.

Unlike the C preprocessor, though, most aspect-oriented programming
systems don't introduce new symbols to the language.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley