performance of tuple-less Python?

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Mon Nov 29 12:12:12 EST 1999

Greg Wilson asks:

> Has anyone ever built a version of Python that didn't include
> tuples,

Not with the result of a working Python...

> and looked at the performance of code that consistently
> used lists instead?

The relative performance would be related to the performance
of malloc on your system. You could get some idea by timing
creating and manipulating sequences of various sizes in
regular Python.

> I'm curious as to whether the use of tuples
> (which I believe are conceptually redundant)

They're only redundant if the concept of mutability is
meaningless. A reference-based language without a concept
of mutability would be, um, an adventure.

what-if-six-turned-out-to-be-nine-ly y'rs

- Gordon