commas vs. spaces. vs. the legions of new lines

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Tue Nov 2 07:43:22 EST 1999

On 01-Nov-99 John W. Baxter wrote:
 >  Hmmm...don't say all those bad things about spaces in France (where one
 >  would write 12 345,67 in the place a US person would write 12,345.67).
 >  Or Sweden or Norway for Finland.  And then there is the Spanish or Flemish
 >  12.346,67 (which doesn't have spaces, but doesn't use , and . in the
 >  "right" places).  Sigh.

This problem is actually a PITA in an increasingly international world.
FWIW, you may encounter 12 345,67 aswell as 12.346,67 and sometimes
12 345.67 in Sweden (but never 12,345.67). My UNIX box at work prefers
12 345.67, while my Winows box at home prefers 12 345,67. Perhaps I can
change that, but I'm still too lazy to do anything about it.

Actually, it is ridiculous that such a thing has to be a problem,
especially since there is an international standard out there, as was
pointed out by Russel W Smith.

standards-are-great--everyone-should-have-one-ly y'rs

/Mikael

E-Mail:  Mikael Olofsson <mikael at isy.liu.se>
WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/dtr/staff/mikael
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343