Comparison between Python and "Ruby"

Yukihiro Matsumoto matz at netlab.co.jp
Wed Nov 3 21:41:22 EST 1999

"Gordon McMillan" <gmcm at hypernet.com> writes:

|> I don't think so.  I don't believe anyone can reduce semantic
|> variability.  Thus TMTOWTDI applies to semantics AND syntax.
|
|Did you mean to write what you wrote? From your premise, I
|would reach the opposite conclusion. Or are you saying that
|Guido also failed to reduce syntactic variability?

No.  I think he succeeded to reduce syntactic variability.

But TMTOWTDI (in other words: the more, the merrier) is the slogan to
emphasize maximum variability in ALL AREAS, so that I felt weird to
see Pythoneers talking TMTOWTDI or even TMTOWTHMTOWTDI in positive
attitude.  Reducing variablility in ANY AREA contradict against
TMTOWTDI, I think.

As I stated before, I don't judge whether it is good or bad.
Personally, I feel Perl went too far, though.

							matz.