Python complaints

Gareth McCaughan Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
Fri Nov 26 17:40:59 EST 1999

James Logajan wrote:

[I said:]
>> That has the wrong semantics in the presence of side effects.
>> (It's fine for my toy example, but then so is "score<>1 and 's' or ''".
>
> Fair enough. Your requirements weren't just "kind of like C's '?:'
> operator," they were precisely that requirement. I'm wondering though what
> great application remains unwritten because you are forced to use a
> conditional statement rather than use an operator?

None. Someone asked "what annoys you about Python". The
absence of such an operator (which, incidentally, I prefer
to think of as "like Lisp's IF", not "like C's ?:") is
something that causes me some annoyance every time I
write a non-trivial Python program.

It seems that you think I'm saying "Python is no good
because it doesn't have this". If I thought Python was
no good then I wouldn't use it and I wouldn't be reading
comp.lang.python .

And I said nothing about "requirements". It's just that
the ability to put conditionals in expressions without
ugly hacks is nice, and Python lacks it.

Gareth McCaughan  Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
sig under construction