embedding stubbed tcl

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 08:31:33 EST 1999

Python uses tkinter which embeds tcl and tk. At present python 1.5.2
comes with a dll that explicitly links to tcl80.dll. having just moved
to the latest tcl8.2.1 I have to recompile this dll and with a very few
minor changes all works ok. What happens when 8.3 appears? I guess I
have to do this again :(

What is the simplest way to avoid this pain using stubs? I mean what are
the guaranteed entry points in the dlls. I need the interp pointer
before I can start off the stubs interface and it seems that the first
thing done by tkinter does is Tcl_CreateInterp followed by
TclpInitLibraryPath(baseName). The latter appears not to be in the stubs
library. Therefore it seems as though tkinter is not stubs friendly. I
guess that the embedding structure for tkinter is a bit out of sync with
the correct way of doing things.
--
Robin Becker