Htmlizing text

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Tue Nov 30 12:00:38 EST 1999

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> > Gerrit Holl <gerrit.holl at pobox.com> wrote:
> > > By the way, why doesn't the cgi module does this?
> >
> > if you use ISO Latin 1 for your pages (which happens to
> > be default in HTTP/1.1, HTML 3.0, and real life), you
> > don't really have to quote all possible entities just be-
> > cause you can...
>
> and yes, your code assumes that the original string
> always uses ISO Latin 1.  the cgi version works fine
> with plain ASCII, and *any* 8-bit ISO encoding.

My code does, but one could also write code that doesn't. Code that
converts platform-depentent HTML code to platform-indepentent HTML
code.

regards,
Gerrit.

--
"Calling EMACS an editor is like calling the Earth a hunk of dirt."

  -- Chris DiBona on Dirt (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)
  5:59pm  up  2:15, 10 users,  load average: 1.32, 1.35, 1.18