ANNOUNCE: a few little things

Neil Schemenauer nascheme at enme.ucalgary.ca
Tue Nov 16 19:03:57 EST 1999

I spent a bit of time today and updated my Python web site.  The
highlights are:

py152_sa.zip
------------

A Stand-alone version of Python for Windows. It includes Python
1.5.2, Tcl, zlib and bsddb.  It fits on a floppy and can be
extracted and run from any location.  Just add your application
code.

It is very possible that I screwed something up when making the
zip file.  If you have problems running the "hello world"
application on a machine without Python installed, please let me
know.

sparsemodule-0.3.tar.gz
-----------------------

An extension module wrapping the sparse library.  It can be used
for solving large systems of linear equations.  Included is a
compiled Windows binary.  Changes in this release are:

    0.2 to 0.3
    ----------

       - fixed off by one bug in set_element
       - fixed bugs in spDestroy and RecordAllocation
       - added test2.py program from D. Michael McFarland
         <mcfarlan at caber-eng.com>
       - added Matrix.py and LUP.py
       - moved sparse routines into their own directory

py-m4.tar.gz
------------

m4 macros for creating extension classes.  This is very alpha.  I
don't expect anyone to actually use them.  I just want to know if
anyone is interested.  They definitely make simple extension
modules easier to write.

Here is some sample code for creating a Hello module with a Hello
class with a hello method:

= hello.m4 ==========================================================
m4_include(py.m4)

PY_MODULE(Hello)

PY_CLASS(Hello, HW)
        PY_DEF(hello, self, args)
        {
                Py_INCREF(Py_None);
                return Py_None;
        }

PY_END_CLASS

This software can be downloaded from:

    http://www.ucalgary.ca/~nascheme/python/

If you have any problems please let me know.

    Neil

--
"The percentage of users running Windows NT Workstation 4.0 whose PCs stopped
working more than once a month was less than half that of Windows 95 users."