exceptions from C

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Wed Nov 3 12:11:01 EST 1999

Linux User wrote:

> I have been reading the section in the Lutz book on exceptions.
> It seems that exceptions are no longer simply string objects.
> Does this change the way exception are raised from C?  If so
> where might I find info on how to do this?

bltinmodule.c has pointers to all the standard exception
classes (initialized during python startup - they're really
created in pure Python).

To raise one from C, you do something like:
   PyErr_SetString(PyExc_IndexError, "index out of range");
   return 0;

Creating your own exception classes from C will take more
work. As usual with the C API, how much work depends on
how clever you are <wink>.

grep-is-your-best-friend-ly y'rs

- Gordon