making the Python case to my dept.

Németh Miklós nemeth at iqsoft.hu
Sat Nov 6 05:14:43 EST 1999

Evan Simpson wrote:

> William Ahern <wahern at jinsa.org> wrote in message
> news:9911051740130D.02530 at william.jinsa.org...
> > I have never used Python, but I'm currently attempting to persuade a
> department
> > at my university (Geroge Washington) to use Python as an intro language. I
> have
> > read that it was good for this. From what I hear, the current options on
> the
> > table are Delphi and Java. I don't know much about Delphi, but I doubt
> Java is
> > any good for intro classes.
>
> Well, I don't know much about Java, but I've been a professional Delphi
> programmer for about five years now.  Up until a year and a half ago, I'd
> have said that Delphi would be fine for your purposes.  Then I learned
> Python :-)

Well, I don't know much about Delphi, but I've been a professional Java
(and
C++) programmer and project manager for about three years now. Up until
a year
ago, I'd have said that Java would be fine for your purpose. Then seeing
several terrible Java applications I started hesitating: is Java really
so good
as the herds of marketing peaple of big corporations say? Half a year
ago I met
Python, and now I know Python is the "king" language. Java is too
complex, not
as complex as C++ but, to complext to learn it easily. Python is much
more
easier, it supports an unprecedented dynamic OO technology not found in
Java or
C++.

NM