Python complaints

William Tanksley wtanksle at hawking.armored.net
Sat Nov 27 15:04:56 EST 1999

On 25 Nov 1999 09:29:18 GMT, Thomas Hamelryck wrote:
>Tim Peters (tim_one at email.msn.com) wrote:
>: There is one (& only one) area where Python's indentation gets in my way a
>: bit:  conceptual blocks that can't be written as blocks.  These typically

>Right. Another example occurs in OpenGL, eg.

>glBegin(GL_POLYGON)
>   glVertex2f(-0.5, -0.5)
>   glVertex2f(-0.5, 0.5)
>   glVertex2f(0.5, 0.5)
>   glVertex2f(0.5, -0.5)
>glEnd()

Good point -- the forced indentation here would be annoying.  A
try/finally block wouldn't be totally amiss, but perhaps a function
definition would be better.  Either way is merely a workaround, but the
try/finally block has some useful meaning: it communicates that the stuff
in the block is in some way atomic.

>This makes the code more readable, but it's not allowed in Python. I've
>got used to the indentation rule in Python, and I'm not annoyed by it that
>much anymore, but I still think it is a major mistake.

I think it's the best decision that could have been made.

All hail Guido.

;-).

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley