Announcing bytecodehacks 0.10

Neel Krishnaswami neelk at brick.cswv.com
Fri May 14 21:39:39 EDT 1999

In article <373A824E.D96E3C4 at home.com>, Jim Meier  <fatjim at home.com> wrote:

>Michael Hudson wrote:
>>
>> oh-my-wouldn't-macros-be-nice-ly y'rs
>>
>> Michae;
>
>OOOOOOhhhhhh!!!! Scheme style macros! This could put down many, many
>arguments about python's semantics.. "You don't like having to use while 1:
>and have a better idea? Here's go the docs for Python Macros-- Go Have Fun!"
>I think this would be very cool. Not like I have clue 1/100,000,00 how to do
>it. Or even what it would look like.. But Still!

Dylan is another language that I've been learning lately, and I have
learned one important lesson: macros and infix languages mix as well
as matches and nitroglycerin. In other words, they don't, unless you
like losing fingers. :) The Dylan people jumped through some amazing
hoops to get the macro system to work as expected, and I'm still not
entirely convinced that they didn't end up redefining "expected" and
declaring victory. It's still a cool language worth learning though.

Neel