.pyo's without .pyc's?

Fred L. Drake fdrake at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed May 26 15:49:14 EDT 1999

Randall Hopper writes:
 > I'm trying to cook a minimalist Python install, and I find that python -O
 > won't run without .pyc's in-place, even when there are pyo's.
 >
 > I thought pyc's were the straight-compiled version, pyo's were the
 > optimized version, and they were independent.  Is this correct?

  They are independent, but Python will only attempt to use .pyo files
if -O is used, and will only attempt to use .pyc files if -O is not
used.
  The work-around is to only use .pyc files and never use -O, or to
install both .pyc and .pyo files (without the source .py files).
  Perhaps importing the "other" byte-code style should be allowed when
no source file is present?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake at acm.org>