Failing test_socket.py

Robert Meegan Robert.Meegan at wcom.com
Thu May 6 10:57:06 EDT 1999

Greetings ---

I've just compiled 1.5.2 on a new AIX machine and I am failing the
socket test. I get the 'child connecting' message, but it never
continues.

Further experimentation shows that:

1) Forcing the hostname to 'localhost' doesn't help
2) Changing the child to connect to another host running test_socket.py
(altered to not connect to itself) works. That is, the old machine
'london' sees the connection from the new machine 'wilbur'.
3) Changing the program on 'london' to connect to 'wilbur' works. In this
instance, 'wilbur' sees 'london'.

'wilbur' is listed in it's own /etc/hosts file.

Here is the output from test_socket.py running with 'wilbur' attempting to
connect to itself (the ip address has been changed to protect the guilty):

# ../../python test_socket.py
socket.error
wilbur
132.151.1.90
wilbur [] ['132.151.1.90']
['wilbur']
23
parent accepting
child connecting
^CTraceback (innermost last):
  File "test_socket.py", line 105, in ?
    conn, addr = s.accept()
KeyboardInterrupt

Any help, including the inevitable exposure of my ignorance, would be
appreciated.

Robert Meegan
MCIWorldCom - Cedar Rapids, Iowa
319.375.2416