Bug or feature?

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Fri May 14 13:36:32 EDT 1999

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> could anyone tell me which beginner's document that says
> that Python has class variables, and that using them is a good
> idea?  especially for mutable data types?

>From the standard tutorial which I think is addressed to
beginners, we find

GvR_says="""
9.3.2 Class Objects

<snip>

class MyClass:
    "A simple example class"
    i = 12345
    def f(x):
        return 'hello world'
then MyClass.i and MyClass.f are valid attribute references,
returning an integer and a function object, respectively.
Class attributes can also be assigned to, so you can change
the value of MyClass.i by assignment. __doc__ is also a
valid attribute that's read-only, returning the docstring
belonging to the class: "A simple example class").
"""

I think this is not an invitation and not a warning.
Althpough I cannot find anything wrong with class variables
if one knows what she does.

ciao - chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net