PROPOSAL: Packages in Python lib

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon May 3 08:36:20 EDT 1999

Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> Hello!
>
>    While I love the idea very much, this is what I do not love in
> particular:
>
> On Sat, 1 May 1999, Paul Prescod wrote:
> > Serial:

It was just an example hierarchy. I'm sure that Guido would have his own
ideas about the right organization and naming.

Someone wrote:
> I love Paul's Idea. It worked for Java, so why not for Python?

Comparing it to Java is a good way to kill the idea!

>But please... no Poldermodels here.

I'm not familar with that word.

Stefan Franke wrote:
> Generally, it would be nice to have a simple way in Python to
> allow different views on the same module set (I could imagine
> locally interpreted .pth files as placeholders inside a package), but
> maybe I just don't know it is possible already.

I don't think such a thing exists but it is a good idea. Overall it would
be nice if there were ways through text files (and not environment
variables) to configure the mapping between files and packages.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Diplomatic term: "We had a frank exchange of views."
Translation: Negotiations stopped just short of shouting and
             table-banging.
(Brills Content, Apr. 1999)