Python IS slow ! [was] Re: Python too slow for real world

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Thu May 6 11:36:46 EDT 1999

Christian wrote:

> Markus Kohler wrote:
> <snip/>
> > Running pystone on HP-UX the result for 1.5.2c is 3.37% for malloc and
> > 3.95%
> > for free :-(
>
> Are you absolutely sure?

/snip snip/

I find Markus' numbers just-slightly-surprising. I don't find your
numbers for Windows surprising at all. After all, there are some
software companies who charge $800 or so for a drop in replacement,
and claim 30-50% speed ups. Allowing for marketing-inflation, that's
just about right.

(Actually, there are, or at least were, certain pathological cases
in which multithreading on a multiprocessor Windows box would slow
to a crawl because of poorly designed locking within malloc / free.)

(And, in MS's defense, let me point out that their debugging versions
are very nice - they let you track down rogue pointers / premature
frees much faster than most other libs.)

- Gordon