Defining VCL-like framework for Python

David Ascher da at ski.org
Fri May 21 13:35:05 EDT 1999

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Alexander Staubo wrote:

> Unfortunately, as I pointed out earlier, cyclic references make
> parent/child relationship hard to implement cleanly. The best workaround
> I've found is to have classes implement a common "pre-destructor" that
> must clean up any external references to prepare it for destruction.

FYI: using environmental acquisition seems a natural for a parent-child
relationship, and solves many cyclic reference problems.  I'd point you to
a URL of Jim Fulton's code for acquisition, but Digital Creations just
redid their website and I can't find it anymore.  I'm cc'ing
webmaster at digicool, hoping that they'll let you know where those documents
have gone.

--david