A Summary: Expression-Assignments. (Very Long)

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Wed May 12 15:24:00 EDT 1999

guido at python.org wrote:

> Christian Tismer <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com> writes:
> > a=b=c[a](5).x=1+2
> Historical note: Algol-60 (my first programming language) had multiple
> assignment spelled as a:=b:=c, but no assignment expressions.  I never
> thought this was strange.  When I first learned C, I thought it was
> pretty neat how they had defined the binding for assignment
> expressions so that a=b=c still meant what was familiar to me at the
> time.  So all I can do is smile when I hear that people are now coming
> at Python's use of a=b=c from the opposite direction...

Whow, this is funny. My first lang was A68, so now I'd like
to extrapolate how Python would look like if you had learned
this first?

Anyway it is great as it is, please don't ever change it,
and no assignment expressions, no +=, all crap.

cheers - chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net