Python IS slow ! [was] Re: Python too slow for real world

Gaetan Corneau Gaetan_Corneau at baan.com
Thu May 6 09:42:54 EDT 1999

Pardon me for jumping in,

>> (GNU malloc has a reputation for being the fastest malloc arround;
Microsoft's doesn't :-)

I have been working on MRP software about a year ago, and we improved
performances by over 30% (measured on NT and HP-UX) just by using "memory
pools". We used C++ and redefined "new" and "delete" to get memory from our
own memory manager. The memory manager's job is to minimize real (os) memory
allocation/deallocation by keeping blocs handy. It uses more RAM, but it is
much faster and reduces fragmentation. This was very important for us, since
the MRP allocates tens of millions of memory blocs in a single run.

I suppose such a manager could be made for Python, but with more
configuration options to keep RAM consumption at a reasonable level.
   Gaetan Corneau
   Software Developer (System integration Team)
   BaaN  Supply Chain Solutions
   E-mail: Gaetan_Corneau at baan.com
   Compuserve: Gaetan_Corneau at compuserve.com
   ICQ Number: 7395494