1.5.2 / standard modules / lib-old/lockfile.py Why?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Fri May 14 11:44:22 EDT 1999

[Jeff Blaine]
> I'm a little distressed by lockfile.py being moved out of the standard
> module library, and then I'm also confused as to WHY it was moved out.

I don't know the history here, but the change is documented in section 19.6
(Obsolete) of the Library Reference Manual:

    lockfile.py
        -- wrapper around FCNTL file locking
           (use fcntl.lockf()/flock() intead)

Agree it would be good to say something prominent about newly obsolete
modules in the News file -- although some distributions (like binary for
Windows) don't contain that!  A comment in such modules explaining the
situation would also be good.

coporate-apologist-ly y'rs  - tim