Python 2.0

Vadim Chugunov chega at my-deja.com
Fri May 28 15:35:38 EDT 1999

> I was wondering if this is seriously being considered -- that is
> implementing Python 2.0 in Java rather than C. While I understand
> that there are some technical challenges with this (notably
> interfacing
> to the existing C implemented extensions), I personally think there
> is a lot to be said for compiling Python to the JVM. For example:
> access to the Java apis, garbage collection,
Personally I would hate it, if Python had ever adopted a garbage
collection without keeping a reference counting.
As many people have noted before, you would not be able to use
destructors to free up resources like memory or file descriptors.

> true compilation, the
Why would JVM generate a better code than Py2C does?  Does the fact
that the app is spelled using javacode instead of pycode magically
remove the type inferencing problem?

> ability to write statically typed code (just write that part in
> Java!),
Just write that part in C !

> access to Swing, promoting Python on the coat-tails of Java
What makes Swing to be better than any of the existing Python GUI
bindings ?

> (free publicity and hype), etc.
Yeah. Right. Let's rewrite everything using the hottest
language of the day!  ;-)

Vadim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/