The way to a faster python [was Python IS slow !]

Evan Simpson evan at tokenexchange.com
Tue May 11 09:15:21 EDT 1999

From: Christian Tismer <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com>

>Huh? How do you import into a fixed-at-creation namespace.
>What do you mean by casting into static or dynamic.
>Isn't that exactly what I pointed out: Everything must be turned
>into something different.

The same way you assign an integer to a name in a fixed-at-creation
namespace.  Obviously you can't do import *, but you can reserve slots for
named import items.  Casting from dynamic to static involves a type-test and
value extraction, while the reverse is just a Python object allocation.

>C-Python must pack things up into S-Python world and back.
>S-Python may reach out, but this always forces it to use
>coercions to local copies.

Exactly.

>If we just forget about classes and modules, and just think
>of some basic S-objects for S-functions?
>Strings already carry S-ness. Lists don't, but the arraymodule
>has it. Tuples must once be checked for their elements type,
>and if they are all the same and not mutable, the work.
>Lists could be handled similar, but only if there is no other
>reference to them, meaning to pass a copy, or loose all
>outer references by that.

Sounds like a good place to start.