Python mailing list vs. References: (was Re: My quarterly question on Design by Contract in Python...)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon May 10 09:25:19 EDT 1999

Tim Peters wrote:
> Ny guess is both.  Stuff I get from the mailing list doesn't appear to have
> any newsgroup msg-id info in the headers, and I'm certain my mailer (MS
> Outlook 98) would toss it even if it did.  This msg of yours did come thru
> with a References line, but referring to the post of mine to which you
> replied.  For threading to work, wouldn't it have to contain a line with a
> reference to *your* msg?  Seems that if OL98 did preserve the References
> line it received here, this msg would end up threaded back to my earlier
> msg, not to yours.

fwiw, Outlook Express seems to handle this just fine -- that is,
it adds a correct reference tag.  on the other hand, it's news-
reader seems to look at both "references" and "subject" in
order to put things where they belong...

otoh, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Outlook Express can
do this, but not Outlook 98...

</F>